Is it possible to retrieve raw generated bits ?

Paul Martin pm at simtec.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 14:39:54 BST 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 03:25:56PM +0200, Andréas LIVET wrote:

> I'm looking for a cheap hardware only RNG and thought the entropykey
> would be a great candidate :).
>
> I plan to use it for special personal research about the influence
> on quantum noise so I'm wondering if it is possible to directly
> access raw generated bits without having them pass through debiaser
> and hash.

No, bypassing the debiasser and hash is not possible as it would
compromise the security of the device.

> If it's not possible, does someone knows any relatively cheap
> hardware that allows that ?

We regularly get similar requests from paranormal researchers, and
tend to point towards the circuit here:

http://www.cryogenius.com/hardware/rng/

Bear in mind that the output of such a noise generator can show a fair
bit of bias (before any possible external influence) which needs to be
removed, eg. by tweaking the analogue to digital comparator's
crossover point or algorithmically (or even both).

The entropy key contains two similar random noise generators, but
tries as much as possible (debiassing, decorrelating, hashing) to
detect or remove any possible effects of external influence (eg. power
supply ripple).

--
Paul Martin <pm at simtec.co.uk>
Simtec Electronics         Tel: +44 1772 978010