"ekeydctl list" Shows No Device On RHEL5.7

Paul Martin pm at simtec.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 18:24:40 BST 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 12:59:08PM -0400, Bernie E. Hoefer wrote:
> Hello.  After installing the software on an HP ProLiant BL460c G6
> blade server and inserting the entropy device in it, I do not see it
> when executing the "ekeydctl list" command.

> So I believe udev isn't picking up the device and using the
> Simtec-provided driver for it.  Looking at
> /etc/udev/rules.d/60-entropykey-uds.rules, I see these udev rules:
>
> ACTION=="add|change|remove", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", BUS=="usb",
> SYSFS{idVendor}=="20df", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0001",
> IMPORT{program}="/lib/udev/entropykey_id.sh $sysfs{serial} %b
> $sysfs{devnum}"

> But as can be seen from this output, the SUBSYSTEM key is not the
> same ("usb" != "") and there is no BUS key.

Another problem caused by the ancient kernel I'm afraid.  Modify the
60-entropykey-uds.rules file to have that line read:

ACTION=="add|change|remove", SYSFS{idVendor}=="20df", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0001", IMPORT{program}="/lib/udev/entropykey_id.sh $sysfs{serial} %b $sysfs{devnum}"

(ie. remove all references to "usb".)

Remove the ekey, get udevadm to reload the rules into udev, and
reinsert the ekey.

With this, there is the faint possibility that there will be something
else on a non-USB bus that has the same vendor and product codes.
It's unlikely, but possible.

> [1]I know Red Hat will back-port bug fixes from more recent kernels
> to their 2.6.18 fork.  Has anybody confirmed that the issues that
> affected the 2.6.18 kernel is still present in the more recent
> versions of Red Hat's 2.6.18 fork?  Is it now safe to use the
> csc_asm kernel module from these newer Red Hat kernels?

> [2]Out of curiosity, I manually loaded the csc_asm kernel module and
> "ekeydctl list" then `saw` the entropy device.  But since the web
> page stated a result of using it was system crashes, I did not use
> it.

If I remember correctly, the cdc_acm module locks the kernel solid
after some time of using the ekey.

Why not ask RedHat whether they've backported the fix?

--
Paul Martin <pm at simtec.co.uk>
Simtec Electronics         Tel: +44 1772 978010