Entropy Key on Centos 6.2 & EGD

Daniel Silverstone dsilvers at digital-scurf.org
Wed May 2 10:41:46 BST 2012

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:33:29AM +0200, Jan-Piet Mens wrote:
[snip]
> # echo -n 3172 > write_wakeup_threshold
> # sleep 5
> # cat entropy_avail
> 3968
>
> Is that all there's to it? :) I suppose I should add the `echo' to
> the ekeyd startup script...

I think the egd-linux code defaults to requesting 3 packets of 1024 bits every
time it wakes up, so I'd set the threshold to 1024 bits so that it doesn't
overfill the pool and waste entropy.  Other than that, yes.  I think the Debian
packaging does the echo in the egd-linux startup script.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69