Actual throughput vs reported

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 03:00:56 BST 2012

All keys are reporting ok:

    root at chaos:~# ekeydctl list
    NR,OK,Status,Path,SerialNo
    4,YES,Running OK,/dev/entropykey/Sf9sBkiDUkkTJRSH,Sf9sBkiDUkkTJRSH
    6,YES,Running OK,/dev/entropykey/Sf9tBkiDUkkHNBWH,Sf9tBkiDUkkHNBWH
    8,YES,Running OK,/dev/entropykey/Sf9sBkiDUkkSGBSH,Sf9sBkiDUkkSGBSH
    10,YES,Running OK,/dev/entropykey/Sf9tBkiDUkkJOBWH,Sf9tBkiDUkkJOBWH
    14,YES,Running OK,/dev/entropykey/Sf9vBkiDUkkTNBSH,Sf9vBkiDUkkTNBSH

Yet, it was my understanding that these keys delivered 32 Kbps per key [1].
I have 5 of them, so I should expect to se 160 Kbps, or 20 KBps. However,
when doing:

    root at chaos:~# dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/null &
    [1] 4393
    root at chaos:~# kill -SIGUSR1
    0+3955 records in
    355+0 records out
    181760 bytes (182 kB) copied, 18.8315 s, 9.7 kB/s

It appears that the 5 keys cannot keep the enttropy pool filled faster than
~10 KBps, 1/2 of what is expected.

    1: http://err.no/personal/blog/tech/2009-11-02-21-23_distributing_entropy.html

Thoughts

--