Actual throughput vs reported

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 05:30:29 BST 2012

First off, before answering the questions, I plugged one key into my T61,
and am getting the following results:

    $  pv -a < /dev/random > /dev/null
    [ 3.6kB/s]

The previous results are on my Raspberry Pi, connected via a USB Octopus.

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 11:24:28PM -0400, Joshua Newton wrote:
> * Are the specs clear on whether that's 32Kbps before or after the
> entropy is tested and some possibly discarded?

Per the website results using pv(1), it's after. 32 Kbps = 4 KBps.

> * Have you adjusted kernel.random.poolsize,

It's not writable.

    $ ls -l /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize
    -r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 13 14:40 /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize
    $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize
    4096

> kernel.random.read_wakeup_threshold,

Not sure what to change this to, however, here are the contents:

    $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/read_wakeup_threshold
    64

> kernel.random.write_wakeup_threshold? (I'm assuming Linux.)

    You assuming correctly:

    $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/write_wakeup_threshold
    1024

> * Are you certain the kernel random pool management code isn't the
> bottleneck?

At this point, I'm sure it's hardware. Now just to pinpoint where:

    1) CPU
    2) FSB
    3) USB controller
    4) USB hub